Thursday, December 6, 2012

Karthikai Deepam

Last week  we celebrated a festival of lights at home.No not Deepavali..

It was Karthikai...

Rows of Agal vilakkus (oil lit lamps) are lit in every house. Karthigai is essentially a festival of lamps. The lighted lamp is considered an auspicious symbol. It is believed to ward off evil forces and usher in prosperity and joy. While the lighted lamp is important for all Hindu rituals and festivals, it is indispensable for Karthigai. This festival is also celebrated to commemorate the bonding between brothers and sisters in south India(similar to Bhaiya-Dhuj and Raakhi). Sisters pray for the prosperity and success of their brothers and light lamps to mark the occasion.

All this while since we are just the two of us,  myself and my younger sis,this festival did not mean much to me but now that I have a son and a daughter,it took on a whole new meaning.
I celebrated it for them!!!


sending across some pics of the same....Also  pics  from here& there accompanies this post.





(Brilliantly done by members of my society!!)


On a lighter note,while I was busy doing the rangoli and my 7 yr old daughter helping me in lighting the lamps and so on,my son just kept looking at us( sucking his thumb!!) and suddenly he was stuck with an idea.. He bought his blocks ,arranged them as best as he could and he says..mamma my rangoli....

2 comments:

meg said...

oh lovely! would have loved to see the blocks touch to your rangoli!

Apurva M Shinde said...

our abhinav at his best! we miss him sooo much! put up pics of the block rangoli too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...